Farm Assistant/Tractor Driver
Application close date:October 21, 2018
Interviews to be held:
Bransby Horses is seeking a full time Farm Assistant to join our busy and hardworking Estates Team. The successful candidate will work as part of the team to ensure that all fields, yards and machinery are clean and well maintained so that our equines can live a safe and content life. The ideal candidate will have previous experience of agriculture and farm work, including grounds maintenance and grass cutting and also the ability to drive and operate a tractor and machinery. A relevant driving certificate and any other land based qualifications would be advantageous. Please note that there is some weekend work involved.
- All staff that are employed or who work on a sub-contract basis for the charity
- Visitors and supporters of the charity
Working Hours: 37.5 hours (including some weekend work)
Annual Salary / Pay Per hour: £16,000 - £18,000 (Dependant on Experience) plus an attractive benefits package
Main Purpose of the Job:
- To contribute towards the high quality care of all equines through the provision and timely delivery of grassland care, grounds maintenance, fence and hedgerow care and general land management.
- To contribute towards the continual development and improvement of the land and its environmental management.
- Support with delivery of forage to equines through accurate and timely delivery of bales as required. Keep accurate records of bales delivered.
- Keep accurate records of any deliveries of hay and straw from suppliers when unloading deliveries.
- Clear manure and bedding from barns, pads and shelters as required, ensuring all areas are left clean and tidy.
- Top up or bed down barns, pads and shelters as required.
- Be responsible for carrying out the Field sweeping rota as directed to ensure good standards of pasture cleanliness and to support good worm burden management and general equine health. Keep accurate records of all field sweeping you have completed.
- Support with the execution of the field treatment plan as directed to ensure the ongoing care and improvement of the grassland. This includes tasks such as harrowing, rolling weed spraying and overseeding.
- As requested, carry out general grass cutting and maintenance of grass areas.
General and Grounds Maintenance
- Carry out general grounds maintenance as requested and set out in the grounds maintenance schedule
- Assist with roadway and yard sweeping as requested.
- Ensure fields remain safe and secure for all equines through repair and maintenance of fences, gates and water troughs. Carry out ground preparation and repair where necessary.
- Assist with regular checking of trees, hedgerows and conservation areas and their maintenance
- To ensure that workshops, vehicle and machinery stores are maintained in a clean, safe and tidy condition
Health and Safety
- Ensure you adhere to all Health and Safety procedures, policies and measures at all times.
- Ensure all accidents are reported to the Estates Team Leader or Estates Manager immediately and are recorded in the Charity’s accident book.
- Ensure the correct PPE is worn in line with policies at all times.
- Ensure COSHH procedures are followed for all COSHH products and that all waste is disposed of safely in line with Charity procedures.
- Maintain a clean and safe working area, be responsible for inspecting all equipment you are using before use and raising any concerns to your line manager. Ensure you are working in line with all procedures and risk assessments. Inform your line manager of any activities where a risk assessment has not been completed immediately.
- Ensure an efficient service and follow the “Supporter Experience Charter”.
- Deal with confidential and sensitive information appropriately following Data Protection and GDPR procedures at all times.
- Develop relationships with other departments as required and work together for the benefit of the charity.
This is not an exhaustive list of all of the duties that may need to be undertaken. It may be necessary to undertake other duties in order to fulfil the objectives of the charity.
Education & Qualifications
- A good standard of general education (E)
- A relevant agricultural driving certificate (D)
- Other land based qualifications, including PA1, PA2 and PA6 (D)
Experience & Knowledge
- Experience of agriculture and farm work (E)
- Tractor and machinery driving (E)
- Experience of routine grounds maintenance including fencing. Strimming and grass cutting (E)
- An up to date knowledge of grassland husbandry (E)
- An good understanding of health and safety considerations (D)
- Tractor and machinery maintenance/repair (D)
Skills & Competencies
- The necessary skills to enable manual tasks to be carried out efficiently and effectively (E)
- Demonstrate good organisation and time management (E)
- Be able to work from own initiative with minimum supervision (E)
- Have the ability to prioritise and adapt a flexible approach to working (E)
Application / Interview
- Be a good team player (E)
- Possess the ability to cope with the physical demands of the job, i.e. lifting, carrying and working at height where necessary (E)
- Have a polite, friendly and approachable manner (E)
- Possess the ability to promote a professional image of the charity at all times, both in and out of work (E)
- Be flexible and willing to work weekends (E)
- Hold a full UK driving Licence (E)
Application / Interview