We have been overwhelmed by the kindness and compassion of our wonderful supporters and would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who offered to help or made a donation to our Emergency Flood Crisis.
On Friday, October 20, when Storm Babet hit, the Environment Agency opened the floodgates to the Till Washlands, as they warned us they would, to prevent further flooding in Lincoln.
Opening the floodgates caused around 200 acres of land at our Bransby site to flood. Our sister site at Barlings in Langworth was also flooded, which meant in total we lost 400 acres under water for more than 10 days, 257 of this was being used as grazing land.
Our Barlings grazing is not on a flood plain but flooded from the large amount of rain which fell that day – this is the first time this has happened. This was caused by the River Eau reaching record levels.
With the warning we received we were able to temporarily relocate 100 affected horses.
The knock-on effect to us, both logistically and financially will be significant.
It is possible our ability to take in new rescues will be affected in the coming weeks but at this point we are able to continue with our welfare work.
Although Bransby Horses are in full support of the Environment Agency’s need to open the floodgates and reduce flooding in Lincoln, we do not receive any compensation for this.
The impact of the flooding will be an additional cost coming at an already difficult economic time.
How you can help
- If you would like to make a donation you can do so through our website here;
- We have an Amazon Wish List of equipment and helpful items here;
- Alternatively you may be having a clear out at home and be able to donate some unwanted items to us to sell in our onsite charity shop. See what we’re looking for here and drop off your donations at the Visitor Centre during opening hours;
- Come and visit us; our family activities continue and we’ve launched our scavenger hunt;
- If you are interested in rehoming one of our equines you can find out more here;
- Making a small regular donation or sponsoring one of our horses on the Sponsorship Star scheme is also a great way to support us;
- Share our story – help us raise awareness by sharing our news pages and social media posts.