Farm Assistant/ Tractor Driver (part time)
Application close date:May 14, 2021
Interviews to be held:May 25, 2021
This role will be working on our Barlings site It is a varied role and there are opportunities to use a wide range of vehicles and equipment with the right training.
• Estates team
• All of Bransby Horses supporting teams
• Visitors and supporters of the charity
• External contractors such as suppliers and ground works contractors.
Working Hours: 19 which may include weekends
Annual Salary / Pay Per hour: £20308 - £22531 pro rata
Main Purpose of the Job:
The Estates department is responsible for the care of all grassland areas, trackways, fencing, tree and hedge care and supporting equine yards with forage and muck management.
The main purpose of this role is to contribute towards the high quality care of all equines and the Barlings Estate through the provision and timely delivery of grassland care, grounds maintenance, fence and hedgerow care and general land management. To contribute towards the continual development and improvement of the land and its environmental management.
To support the AEM with sufficient knowledge and experience in order to carry out land and estates care with minimal supervision.
• Carry out the delivery of forage to equines through accurate and timely delivery of bales as required. Keep accurate records of bales delivered.
• Keep accurate records of all any deliveries of hay and straw from suppliers when unloading deliveries reporting inconsistencies.
• Clear manure and bedding from barns, pads and shelters as required, ensuring all areas are left clean and tidy
• Top up, maintain or bed down barns, pads and shelters as required.
• Be responsible for carrying out the Field sweeping rota as directed to ensure good standards of pasture cleanliness and to support good worm burden management and general equine health. Keep accurate records of all field sweeping you have completed.
• Support with the execution of the field treatment plan as directed to ensure the ongoing care and improvement of the grassland. This includes tasks such as harrowing, rolling, weed spraying and over seeding.
• Be aware of and strictly adhere to all cross compliance rules applicable to the task at hand as advised by the Estates Manager.
• As requested, carry out general grass cutting and maintenance of grass areas.
Equipment use and maintenance
• Competently use a variety of farm vehicles and equipment, ensure their safe and correct use, be responsible for checking all vehicles/equipment and ensuring they are set up safely and correctly before use.
• Ensure any equipment used is done so in appropriate conditions for the best effect of the task being carried out, be aware of ground conditions and other risk assessments whilst working in order to ensure safe working conditions are upheld at all times.
• Work closely with the Bransby site Estates team in order to get best use out of shared equipment and resources.
General and Grounds Maintenance
• Carry out general grounds maintenance as requested
• Ensure fields remain safe and secure for all equines through repair and maintenance of fences, gates and water troughs. Carry out ground preparation and repair where necessary.
• Assist with regular checking of trees, hedgerows and conservation areas and their maintenance
• To ensure that workshops, vehicle and machinery stores are maintained in a clean, secure safe and tidy condition.
Health and Safety
• Ensure you adhere to all Health and Safety procedures, Risk Assessments, policies and measures at all times.
• Ensure all accidents are reported to the Assistant Estates Manager immediately and are recorded on the appropriate accident form.
• Ensure the correct PPE is worn in line with policies and procedures at all times.
• Ensure COSHH procedures are followed for all COSHH products and that all waste is disposed of safely in line with Charity procedures.
• Maintain a clean and safe working area, be responsible for inspecting all equipment you are using before use and raising any concerns to your line manager. Ensure you are working in line with all procedures and risk assessments. Inform your line manager of any activities where a risk assessment has not been completed immediately.
• To promote Bransby Horses and its work to all visitors and members of the public and ensure an efficient service in line with the Bransby Behaviours.
• Deal with confidential and sensitive information appropriately following Data Protection and GDPR procedures at all times.
• Develop relationships with other departments as required and work together for the benefit of the charity.
This is not an exhaustive list of all of the duties that may need to be undertaken. It may be necessary to undertake other duties in order to fulfil the objectives of the charity.
• A good standard of general education
• A relevant agricultural driving certificate is ideal
• Telehandler ticket is ideal
• Other land based qualifications, including chainsaw certificate PA1, PA2 and PA6 are desirable
• At least 3 years’ experience of agriculture and farm work, including tractor and machinery driving
• Experience of routine grounds maintenance including fencing, strimming and grass cutting
• An up to date knowledge of grassland husbandry
• A good understanding of health and safety considerations is essential
• Tractor and machinery maintenance/repair is desirable
• The necessary skills to enable manual tasks to be carried out efficiently and effectively
• Good communication skills in order to liaise well with equine teams, the Assistant Estates Manager and Bransby site Estates team.
• Demonstrate good organisation and time management
• Be able to work safely and efficiently from own initiative with minimum supervision in a small team
• Have the ability to prioritise and adapt a flexible approach to working
• Be a good team player
• Possess the ability to cope with the physical demands of the job, i.e. lifting, carrying and working at height where necessary
• Have a polite, friendly and approachable manner
• Possess the ability to promote a professional image of the charity at all times, both in and out of work.
• Honest and professional to ensure that confidential and sensitive information is handled with integrity and in line with Bransby Horses procedures and regulations
• Ability to travel across site and to sites within UK.
• Be flexible and willing to work some weekends
• Hold a full UK driving Licence