PR and Communications Officer
Application close date:November 21, 2018
Interviews to be held:December 3, 2018
Bransby Horses has more than 400 horses, ponies, donkeys and mules to meet and with a full calendar of events throughout the year, including adoption days and pony grooming, there is something for everyone at our Visitor Centre. The beautiful 600 acre site has endless walkways for visitors to explore, a Café, Gift Shop, play park and picnic area.
We are currently looking for a dynamic and engaging communication expert to join our small and friendly Marketing Team. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the reputation, public image and PR profile of the Charity through informative and influential campaigns, communications and social media. They will also work closely with the Marketing Manager to develop our PR strategy and brand awareness, as well as being the point of contact for all local and national press/media enquiries.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator, who demonstrates an ability to build and maintain strong relationships with their audience as well as inspire, motivate and influence opinions and behaviours. We welcome applications from motivated individuals with at least 2 years’ experience in a previous marketing role and ideally with a qualification and/or further study in a relevant discipline.
- All departments as required
- All other staff and volunteers
- Representatives from the media
- Visitors and supporters
- External suppliers
Working Hours: 37.5 (to include some weekend, bank holiday and evening work)
Annual Salary / Pay Per hour: £20,000 - £23,000 (Dependant on experience)
Main Purpose of the Job:
To work with the Marketing Manager and senior management to develop PR strategies which support the delivery of the overall marketing plan of the charity; and to lead all PR activities to ensure the delivery of these strategies.
To manage the PR profile, brand awareness, curate the social media content and enhance the company’s public image by delivering influential campaigns, communications and being the point of contact for all local and national press/media enquiries.
- Be the main point of contact in all press and media work both locally and nationally.
- Manage and coordinate all on-site press/media visits, ensuring that all departments are aware and engaged with the visit and its purpose.
- Create and take responsibility for the content and distribution of press packs for all media visits.
- Manage and deliver media interviews, requests, briefings, photo calls and press conferences.
- To build, develop and maintain a media database of key media contacts.
Press and Communication Releases
- Work with our Marketing Manager to identify the most appropriate channels for press releases to meet the annually agreed PR & Marketing Plan and develop a schedule of planned activity.
- Produce and deliver high quality press releases and additional communications to meet the agreed schedule.
- Source success stories or cases of interest in liaison with External and Internal Welfare and use these to raise awareness of the services of the Charity.
- Produce briefing sheets for the Senior Leadership Team and other managers to ensure internal communication and consistent messages.
- React to ad-hoc PR opportunities or damage limitation requirements flexibly and appropriately, making a good business case for additional funding if required.
Other Communications duties
- To plan, create and publish content for our social media streams and website content in line with Bransby Horses’ charitable objectives and the overall marketing plan.
- To work with the wider team to ensure that social media content is seamlessly integrated with wider communications campaigns.
- Support the senior leadership team with crisis communication – ensuring that negative coverage is swiftly and effectively responded to, including producing holding and positions statements.
- Develop good relationships and maintain regular contact with key managers and external contacts to ensure PR opportunities are maximized.
- Prepare regular updates/reports in respect of PR and communications activity for the Senior Leadership Team to monitoring and evaluating PR activity.
- To undertake any other communications projects as deemed appropriate by the Marketing Manager and Senior Leadership Team.
General duties applicable to all staff
- Ensure an efficient service and follow the “Supporter Experience Charter”
- Deal with confidential and sensitive information appropriately following Data Protection and GDPR procedures at all times.
- Read, understand and observe the requirements of Health and Safety Policy and Procedure at all time.
- Develop relationships with other departments as required and work together for the benefit of the charity.
This is not an exhaustive list of all of the duties that may need to be undertaken. It may be necessary to undertake other duties in order to fulfil the objectives of the charity.
- Likely to be educated to degree level in a relevant subject
- Evidence of further study and/or additional qualifications in PR, Communications, Journalism.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a marketing role (E)
- Experience in producing and developing internal and external communications materials (E)
- Experience of content management and social media communications (E)
- Experienced in writing, distributing and measuring the effectiveness of press releases (E)
- Experience of media events to a wide variety of audiences (E)
- Experience of dealing with the media, both local and national (E)
- Able to work effectively to time critical deadlines and prioritise tasks (E)
- Able to understand the importance of working closely with management teams across the Charity and of meeting their PR needs appropriately. (E)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail and the ability to write persuasively and to pitch content at the right level for the target audience (E)
- Comprehensive IT skills
- Knowledge of the charity sector and the legislative requirements relating to marketing (D)
- Knowledge of equine related matters (D)
- Be self-motivated and work well independently, with minimal supervision
- Demonstrates an excellent track record for building strong professional relationships and credibility across all levels of the organisation
- Be a good team player
- Be able to work flexibly under pressure, with the ability to adapt to changing priorities
- The ability to form and maintain strong relationships
- Able to promote a professional image of the charity at all times
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends, evenings and Bank Holidays as required (E)
- Able to travel across site(s)